Notable Homes in Davisville
On September 30th, the North Toronto Historic Society and SERRA (South Eglinton Ratepayers and Residents Association) co-sponsored a historic walking tour of Davisville, focusing on the section between Mount Pleasant and Bayview.
Led by Sharon and Amy from the SERRA Heritage committee, locals were guided through our neighbourhood and shown a number of notable homes that represent nearly 150 years of Davisville history.
Here are a few to keep a lookout for on your next walk through the neighbourhood:
Built in 1879, this Victorian home belonged to Alexander John Davis, who was the eldest son of John Davis (whom Davisville is named after). Alexander was the chief potter at Davisville Pottery. The building gained heritage status in 1979, marking its 100th anniversary.
Another heritage home, this 'Ontario Cottage style' home was built as a 1.5 story property in order to pay less in taxes (as the amounts were calculated based on the number of stories rather than the square footage).
The owner of this home, built in the late 1880s, had worked at the Davis Grocery Store at the corner of Yonge and Davisville, but by the 1920s he had converted his home into a store to serve the growing number of residents of this area (as it's about a 40 minute walk round trip to Yonge and Davisville from this point). The store operated until 1951.
Robert Lawrence lived in this home built in 1895, and owned much of the surrounding land. Robert was a gardener who sold his wares at the market, and was also a founding member of St. Cuthbert's Anglican Church.